Who doesn’t love glitter? It sparkles, comes in all different shapes and sizes, and looks good on just about everything. However, as fun as glitter is, scientists from all over the world have come to realize that glitters cost highly out weigh its benefits. The plastic that glitter is made of is known as P.E.T (polyethylene terephthalate) and because of glitters tiny size it is also considered a micro plastic. Scientists who have researched the effects of P.E.T have concluded that the ingestion of this plastic can directly disrupt the breakdown of hormones in the human body and has been linked to certain neurological diseases and even cancer. Recent studies have shown that there are up to 51 trillion fragments of this type of micro plastic in the world’s oceans, which is consequently being ingested by marine animals and thus contaminating the entire food chain. Therefore many environmental scientists are proposing a worldwide ban on glitter to avoid this problem and ensure that all animal species, humans included, avoid the consumption of this chemical at all possible costs. Glitter might be pretty and all but, in my opinion, the health of the environment and its inhabitants is not worth the continued production of a purely cosmetic material that has been shown to wreak so much havoc on our world and our bodies.
Written by Jaqui Gutman